There is a considerable amount of information available and many sources of help. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask us, either by calling the LJMC telephone Helpline or, better still, dropping in.

Some useful sources of information include:

If you need help in your own home, first contact the Social Services department of your local authority. They will be able to carry out an assessment of your needs. They will then be able to plan and organise appropriate care and support.

You may be asked to contribute to the cost of care, depending on your means.

If you need help with financial issues, see our page about Benefits Advice.

HertsHelp HertsHelp

A network of community organisations in Hertfordshire. Helping people find independent support, guidance and information to get the most out of life.

Home-Start Home-Start
UKHCA - United Kingdom Homecare Association UKHCA – United Kingdom Homecare Association
If you are looking after someone with cancer, take a look at our resources to help carers.
There are a number of community-based nursing services. We recommend that you speak to your GP or Clinical Nurse Specialist in the first instance to organise the most appropriate care.
Marie Curie Marie Curie

Provides care to terminally ill patients in their own homes or in their hospices and offers support to their families.

Rennie Grove Hospice Care Rennie Grove Hospice Care

Hospice at Home service offers specialist care at home through a combination of planned and responsive visits by teams of nurses and healthcare assistants.

UKHCA - United Kingdom Homecare Association UKHCA – United Kingdom Homecare Association

Professional association of homecare providers from the independent, voluntary, not-for-profit and statutory sectors. Provides information on how to find appropriate homecare.

If you are having difficulty managing certain tasks at home (for example getting in/out of the bath, dressing yourself, walking safely or standing up from your chair/bed) then you may benefit from some equipment to help.

Some independent living aids may be obtained free of charge so check with your GP or health care professional before buying products.

You can also contact your local borough Social Services and ask to speak with a Community Occupational Therapist for advice about obtaining equipment or to be assessed for adaptations for the home.

The list below gives details of organisations that offer advice, loan or sell equipment to help you cope at home.

Age UK Age UK

Offers a wide range of services, information and advice

British Red Cross British Red Cross

Short term loan of equipment, eg, wheelchairs.

Disabled Living Foundation Disabled Living Foundation

Advice on aids and equipment for disabled and older people. Advice on where to buy them. Demonstration centre for equipment.

Manage at Home Manage at Home

Specialist UK retailer of mobility aids, mobility products and equipment.

Mobility Equipment Hire Direct Mobility Equipment Hire Direct

Mobility equipment hire for a holiday, a short stay away from home or an event.

Mount Vernon Hospital Comforts Fund shop

Stocks a range of small aids including long-handled grabbers, stocking aids, long-handled shoe horns and sponges.

Located on the hospital site in Northwood. Open Mon-Fri 10.00am-3.30pm.

01923 826111 ext 4269

Scope Scope

Provides information, advice and support for people living with a disability.

NRS Healthcare NRS Healthcare

High quality disability equipment and rehab supplies, including mobility products and disability aids.